In this era of technology where everything is fast-paced, we need a few tools to get our social life get going, don’t we? Whenever we want to connect with our friends, families, or any special someone, we use voice calls and other things, but what if we’re going to have a video chat with them?
Yes, you need to use some applications that provide this facility, one of them is most thoroughly used on windows which are also known as Skype, it is a video chatting app.
Even though it’s a great tool sometimes the features it already has pre-loaded can be tough to deal with and might irritate you or give you hard times at times, which also tends to make the pc or laptop slow, it’s a big issue. The thing is Skype application has a pre-installed feature of opening automatically as the operating system starts, and it keeps on running in the background, which is irritating because it makes our pc slow and uses RAM unnecessarily.
Hence, the question is, is there a way to prevent the app from getting opened as we switch on our pc? Yes, there is; definitely, we will find some of the particularly obvious ways to do so further, so stay tuned. Now, let’s see how it’s done in one of the most widely used Windows operating systems of our time, i.e., Windows 10.
There are three different versions of skype that we come across usually, which are Skype, Skype Preview, Skype Business. They all have tendencies to get opened automatically as we switch on our pc and thus keep running in the background and using unnecessary RAM.
The very first version is the one we usually download for voice/video calling from our Windows 10 operating systems.
Another version, which is also known as Skype Preview, comes into the picture, which works in Windows 10 and is a lighter version of Skype that is there already on all the windows ten operating systems, which has received the anniversary update of Windows 10.
And the last version is ‘Skype Business,’ which is used for business purposes in general, and this full version is used as a part of the Windows 10 operating system.
First of all, let’s take the example of a full version ‘Skype’ desktop app. Once the full version is successfully downloaded and installed on the operating system, you will find it popping up automatically on your computer as your computer starts; it will even provide you the option of signing up if you aren’t a user already if you are a customer who already uses Skype it will sign in you automatically with your operating system and will keep running in the background and use the unnecessary processing of RAM on your Windows 10.
Following are some of the rather easy way to stop the app from opening and running in the background automatically:
- At first, open the Skype app on your desktop, which can be done by clicking on the desktop shortcut or going to Start Menu>All programs> there you will find a list of apps click skype on it. After doing this, sign in to your skype account if you aren’t signed in already(you are signed in already mostly).
- Now that you have done all that, click on the tools option in the top menu bar further clicking on options after that click on the option ‘Start Skype when I start Windows’ to uncheck it and then click on save.
- After that when you have done all that Skype will stop popping in your operating system as soon as it starts, it’s only going to open when you click on the shortcut icon or in the start menu, after this you can stop being annoyed by this.
Let’s talk about the Skype Preview app: Once you click on the icon of Skype Preview, it will signal you to use your unique Microsoft id and password to open it. Once you have done that it stays like that and now whenever you turn on your pc it will automatically turn on and keep running in the background, this will continue for every time whenever you sign in, to prevent this from happening here is what you need to do:
· Go to the start menu and then go to ‘Skype Preview’ icon and click on it, now click on your profile picture icon which is located in the bottom left corner of the screen. Now scroll down to the bottom of the screen and further click on the sign-out option, what this will do is sign you out of the Skype Preview app and restrict it from opening further on your Windows 10 operating system.
Now, talking about the last Skype for Business application, you can make use of the given steps to stop it from opening every time you open your pc.
- Similarly, click on the start menu and then go to the Skype for Business icon now sign in to Skype for Business account using your Microsoft unique user id and password in case you haven’t signed in already.
- Click on the small Down-arrow button, located after the wheel icon. From the drop-down click on tools and then options, on the options screen, click on the Personal tab in the side menu and then click on the ‘Automatically Start the app when I log on to the windows’ it will uncheck the box. Lastly, click on OK to save the changes we made in the Skype Business App.
These steps are how we prevent Skype from opening every time we log into our operating system. After you have followed the steps given here, if still, the problem persists, which definitely should not happen then it means there are some bugs in your applications, you need to uninstall the app and reinstall it and follow the given steps.
That is everything you need to prevent your skype application from opening and enjoy its functions without being annoyed.